OUR COURSES ARE ENDORSED BY
Learn anywhere, anytime you want with distance learning and practical assessment via video.
I work full time, so it was great that the FitLearn course was accessible to me. The staff were excellent and always available when I needed help. I’m looking at doing another course already!Shaun M
- Course Content
- A Proven Way to Learn
- Straightforward Assessments
Unit 1: Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise
• Understand the structure and function of the circulatory system
• Understand the structure and function of the respiratory system
• Understand the structure and function of the skeleton
• Understand joints in the skeleton
• Understand the muscular system
• Understand the life-course of the musculoskeletal system and its implications for special populations exercise
• Understand energy systems and their relation to exercise
• Understand the nervous system and its relation to exercise
Unit 2: Know How to Support Clients who Take Part in Exercise and Physical Activity
• Understand how to form effective working relationships with clients
• Understand how to address barriers to exercise/physical activity that clients experience
• Understand how to support clients to adhere to exercise/ physical activity
• Understand how to provide ongoing customer service to clients
Unit 3: Health, Safety and Welfare in a Fitness Environment
• Understand emergency procedures in a fitness environment
• Understand health and safety requirements in a fitness environment
• Understand how to control risks in a fitness environment
• Understand how to safeguard children and vulnerable adults
Unit 4: Principles of Exercise, Fitness and Health
• Understand the effects of exercise on the body
• Understand the components of fitness
• Understand how to apply the principles and variables of fitness to an exercise programme
• Understand the exercise contraindications and key safety guidelines for special populations
• Understand how to safely monitor exercise intensity
• Understand the health benefits of physical activity
• Understand the importance of healthy eating
Unit 5: Planning Gym-Based Exercise
• Understand how to collect client information to plan gym-based exercise
• Understand how to use client information to plan gym-based exercise
• Understand how to plan gym- based exercise with clients
• Be able to collect and use client information to plan a gym-based exercise programme
• Be able to plan a safe and effective gym-based exercise programme with clients
Unit 6: Instructing Gym-Based Exercise
• Understand how to provide gym-based exercise
• Be able to prepare self and equipment for gym-based exercise
• Be able to prepare clients for gym-based exercise
• Be able to instruct gym-based exercise
• Be able to supervise clients undertaking gym-based exercise
• Be able to bring a gym-based exercise session to an end
• Be able to reflect on providing gym-based exercise
• Be able to support clients taking part in gym-based exercise
This course is specially designed for distance learning.
When you sign up with FitLearn, we provide you with a fitness tutor and an induction webinar to get you started on the right foot.
The webinar gives you a complete overview of our service, together with the instructions on how to get the best out of your course and access support if you need it.
Get the following resources:
- Unlimited tutor support by telephone and email
- Hard copy training manuals, created by fitness professionals
- Access to a purpose built online training portal where you can complete multiple choice exams and submit video-based assessments
- Straightforward digital workbooks
The Level 2 course will take a minimum of 2 weeks to complete, but we allow up to a year so you can easily fit it around other commitments. We can even organise an extension for a small fee if you need it. The approximate guided learning hours for this course is 157 hours.
With easy-to-follow materials, flexible study and tutor support, FitLearn sets you up for success
We aim to make every aspect of study as flexible as possible – including our assessments. We believe you should be able to take your exams and practical sessions when it suits you – no booking involved.
Our five assessment paths
- Learner Achievement Portfolio (LAP) – Fill in your LAP when you complete modules. Submit your answers, work with your tutor and achieve.
- Multiple choice exams – Take your exams online when you choose, using our simple multiple choice format.
- Video practical sessions – With FitLearn you can take your practical assessments in your own gym so there’s no hassle of travelling to a distant assessment centre. Just pick a training partner and then use your phone to video yourself performing a session. You can then upload the result directly from your phone through our specially built training portal. Your tutor will watch the video, and give you feedback on what you’ve done well and where you can make things better. You can even do it again if you don’t get it right the first time.
- Case study – Test your skills on a training partner. Build a client profile for them and create an exercise programme. Deliver the programme and then evaluate the results. Just like you will be doing for clients when you’re working as a professional.
- Practicial Hours/Workshop – Gain practical experience! Choose between either 20 hours work experience with a REPs professional in your local gym and complete your logbook to record a variety of observations and tasks that you have witnessed and shadowed. Alternatively attend a workshop with a FitLearn tutor and spend a whole day with an industry expert gaining invaluable hands-on experience in a gym environment!
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
- Eligible for entry onto Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs)
- Permitted to obtain public liability insurance as a gym instructor
- Eligible to become a CIMSPA member
- Start working in a gym, or set up your own business
- Gives you the perfect foundation to move on to the Level 3 Personal Trainer course
Support When You Need It
FitLearn gives you proven materials that contain all the information you need. But if you’re still struggling, take advantage of our unlimited 1-2-1 support to help you over any hurdles in the course. Our professionals have been through the same learning as you – so there’s not a challenge you can’t beat together.
ASSESSMENT ANYWHERE, ANYTIME
We make studying as adaptable as possible, so you can complete your coursework and multiple-choice exams online, whenever you want. You can even film your practical assessments at your own gym and then upload them to us to grade.
Graduate Interview Guarantee
With a FitLearn qualification behind you, clubs know you’ll have the skills to work with their customers. We can guarantee that all of our graduates are offered an interview through our network of partners at their closest available gym.
WHAT SKILLS DO I NEED TO ENROL ON THE COURSE?
We recommended that you have experience of gym-based exercise and fitness, including free weights. Basic personal and communication skills are also important, although we’ll help you polish your customer service skills as you go through the course.
DO I HAVE TO SIT AN EXAM?
FitLearn require all students to be properly assessed. You will be expected to complete 2 multiple choice exams through our online portal.
I WORK FULL TIME – WILL THIS COURSE BE RIGHT FOR ME?
This course has been constructed with flexibility in mind, and is designed to fit around a busy life. Complete your course learning when it suits you and take assessments on your schedule. What’s more you can work entirely from distance and you get 12 months to complete the course.
ARE THERE ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS?
To become NCFE qualified you need to pay a registration fee of £77.00. The registration fee is payable at time of requesting the certificate once all study has been completed.
WILL FITLEARN ACCEPT STUDENTS BASED OUTSIDE THE UK?
We regularly work with students on a global basis. This course can be completed entirely through distance learning and online assessment.
HOW WILL MY TUTOR SUPPORT ME THROUGHOUT THE COURSE?
You can contact your tutor via or telephone to ask about any aspect of the course.
Additionally we provide you with a full study guide to assist you through the study and assessment process –if you haven’t studied in a while, it’s the perfect aid to get you up to speed.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THE COURSE?
You receive all the FitLearn written learning materials needed to study this course at your home – together with full tutor support for 12 months.
I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION – WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
We are happy to answer any questions you have, just call 020 3322 7111.
Ready to take your next step?
Book onto your course now